578 -HISTORY OF HARDIN COUNTY. TAYLOR CREEK TOWNSHIP.
From authority of some of the oldest residents of this township, it appears that it was erected into a township about the time Hardin County was organized, or very soon after, as the first election was held May 4, 1833. As it was first organized, it embraced Hale, Buck, Lynn, and perhaps a part of McDonald Township, in addition to its present territory. But of its exact limits, originally, or positive date of organization, we are left totally in the dark, so far as the record of any official act touching upon this matter is concerned, as we have elsewhere asserted that the burning of the court house, in March 1853, destroyed all the Commissioners' records relating to these matters. But there are persons still living here who were residents here then, and whose recollections are clear and distinct upon these matters, and from them we have obtained the above approximate dates, which are evidently as nearly correct as it is possible to obtain them. The township is said to have received its name in honor of Gen. James Taylor, of Kentucky. Geographically, it is located in the southern central part of the county, and is bounded as fellows: On the north by Lynn and Buck Townships; on the east by Buck and Hale Townships; on the south by Logan County, and on the west by McDonald Township. Its length is about six miles, by four and one-half miles in width, and contains twenty-seven square miles, or 17,280 acres.
SURFACE, SOIL, STREAMS AND TIMBER.
The surface of this township is more diversified than most of the other townships. Some of the northeastern portion of the township and along Taylor Creek, which is the principal stream of the township, the surface is quite broken and hilly, while some of the western and northwestern portion is generally level, other portions are undulating. The soil is principally a clay and loam, rich and productive, yielding good crops of corn, wheat, oats and hay. The subsoil is a gravel, strongly mined with a disintegrated limestone, and in some places crops out near the surface, and furnishes the best material for building pikes and roads. There are but two streams of any size, Silver Creek, which rises in Survey 10,013 and flows in a northeast course through the township into Buck, and finally empties into the Scioto River above and west of Kenton, and Taylor Creek, which rises on the, land of S. Stewart near the south line of the county, taken a northeast course through this and Buck Townships, and empties into the Scioto just above Kenton. This township, like most of the other townships of Hardin County, was originally very heavily tim-
TAYLOR CREEK TOWNSHIP. -579
bered, the varieties of timber being about the same as have been mentioned in the history of other townships, oak, ash and beech being the leading or most abundant varieties, of which there have been great quantities of beautiful logs cut and sawed into lumber, besides thousands which in the early settling of the country were rolled into log heaps and burned to get them off the land.
Two brothers-Charles W. and Samuel Stevenson-were the first permanent settlers of Taylor Creek Township, locating on Survey 10,014, in March, 1827. The history of this family will be found in another portion of the work to which we refer our readers, viz., Chapter IV, of the General History.
Thomas, James and John Collins, with their widowed mother, came in the fall of 1828 and located on land now owned by Ira C. Richards on the Cabel and Calvin Survey. No. 10,015. Thomas married Sarah Bailey, by whom he had the following children: James, Mary, Jane. Beniah, Harriet, Mariah and Margery. Mr. Collins died September 16, 1867, aged sixty-seven years. James his brother married Elizabeth Hullinger. He was the father of the following children: Daniel, Margery J., Samuel, Amanda, John L., Sarah, Elizabeth and Mary, and two or three who died in childhood. Mr. Collins died April 26, 1861, aged fifty-two years. John, the third brother, was twice married, and had several children, but early moved to the West; thence back to Indiana, where he died. Joseph, a fourth brother, came here and settled
about one year later or in 1829. He married a Miss Adams, by whom he had the following children, viz.: John, Thomas, Elizabeth, Elijah, Mary, Alanson and Anna. Mr. Collins died September 30, 1840, aged forty-four years.
James Scott came here from Greene County, Ohio, and settled about the same time or soon after the Stevenson family. Subsequently he married Jane Patterson and settled on land now owned by William Fry, on Survey No. 10,000, where he resided till his death. His children were Emily, Mariah, Tully, Ruhamia, Snook, Rebecca, Cynthia, Margaret and Charles, some of whom were deceased, and the balance have moved away. Mr. Scott was the first Justice of the Peace of Taylor Creek Township.
Samuel Hatfield came here from Logan County, Ohio, about the same time or soon after the Collins and the Bailey families He married a Miss Zane, of Logan County; she died, and he married, for his second wife, Miss Nancy Collins. He had four children by his first wife and six by his last, but only one-Noah--the eldest child by his first wife, is now a resident of this county. Mr. Hatfield never became owner of any land here, but subsequently removed to Michigan, where he and his wife died.
Joshua Caseman was a native of Kentucky but became an early settler of Logan County, Ohio; thence, in August, 1829, came to this township, where he was married to Eliza Bailey and settled on land now owned by O. Pyers, on Survey No. 10,001, where he resided till his death. His children were Hannah, Sarah, Lucretia, Elizabeth and three who died young.
William Bailey, a native of Virginia, married Mary Alcott and came to Hardin County in 1831 and settled on Taylor Creek, on Survey No. 10,015. Mr. Bailey was born in 1786 and married in 1817. His children were as follows: Bailey, James, Nancy, Emiline, Silas, Basel, William, Thomas, Oner and Calvin, all of whom are now decreased but Thomas, who resides
in McDonald Township. Mr. Bailey died December 6, 1853, aged sixty-seven years. John, the eldest child, married Emily Kerns, and subsequently
580 -HISTORY OF HARDIN COUNTY.
removed to Indiana, but again returned and settled in Lynn Township, where he died, March 19, 1883. Their children were Nathan, William, Margaret, Jacob, John, Marion, George and Thomas, all resident., of Lynn Township, except Marion, who is deceased. James, the second son, married Sarah Deacons, and subsequently removed to Paulding County, Ohio. where he died. They had the following children: Mary M., George and Nancy (deceased), and Jerome. Louisa, Noah, Rebecca and Thomas. who all reside in Paulding County. Silas, the fifth child, married, for his second wife, Nancy Norman, .June 14,1849, and settled on the old home place of his father, where he resided until his death, March 10, 1882. Of his children. Nathaniel, Alwilda E. and Mary Rosella are deceased, and Jonathan, Martha Jane, William, Fletcher, Basel W. and Curtis W. still survive. Basel. the next younger than Silas, married Eliza Collins and resided on a part of the old home place until his death. Their children were Kelly, Laura, Leighton, Elliott, Alice, Sallie and Mellie.
John Wilcox, with his sons, Jonathan, Samuel. William and John, all settled near Yelverton in 1832, where the father died. The sons subsequently sold out and moved away, except Jonathan. who now reside., in Belle Centre.
Andrew Porter was born in Kentucky. May 11, 1800, and on Septernber 29, 1830, was united in marriage with Rebecca Dunlap. who was born in Morgan County, Ohio, July 2, 1805. They came to Greene County: thence in 1833, to Hardin, and settled on land new owned by his son, James T., on Survey No. 10,000, where he died. October 6, 1867. Mr. Porter was a man of quiet and reserved habits, a kind neighbor and much respected citizen.
Elisha Byers settled near where Yelverton is now located, about 1834, but, subsequently removed to the West.
Benjamin McIntire also settled near Yelverton with a large family of children, some of whom were married when they came here. They settled here about 1834-35, but subsequently they sold their property and all moved away.
Thomas Wilcox, a native of Ross County, Ohio, married Hannah Gates, and in the fall of 1833 removed to Hardin County and settled near Yelverton, on land nom owned by the widow of Thomas Sloan. He finally removed to the place where his son, H. N. Wilcox. now lives, where he died in April, 1858, aged fifty-seven years.
Henry D. Thorp came here from Logan County and settled on land now owned by Edward May. on the Scott & Fox Survey. No 10,001, about 1832 or 1833. He married a Miss Moots, of an early pioneer family of Logan County. He was the first Sheriff of this county. but, in 1834-35, he removed to Logan County again, and subsequently to Missouri.
Homer P. Stevenson was born in Greene County, Ohio, in 1816, and was a half brother to Charles W. and Samuel, the. first settlers of the township previously spoken of. He came here about 1835. . In 1840, he married Mary Ann Hullinger, and is still a resident of this township, and whose biographical sketch will appear in another part of this work. Mr. Stevenson has served as a Justice of the Peace for may years, and is a very worthy citizen.
Jeremiah Liles came from Ross County to Logan County, Ohio: thence, about 1836, located on the place where he now resides in Taylor Creek Township.
Andrew Miller came here from Muskingum County and settled where he now resides, about 1836 or 1837.
TAYLOR CREEK TOWNSHIP -581
Jacob Seig was a native of Pennsylvania, but removed with his parents, while young, to Virginia; thence, in 1828, removed to Logan County, Ohio; thence. in 1839, he came with his parents to this county and located on the place where his son, P. K. Seig, now resides. He died January 5, 1855, aged seventy years.
ROADS, RAILROADS, TOWNS.
As was mentioned above, this township has an abundance of gravel of good quality, which makes excellent pikes, of which this township has a good supply, and of which we mention the Kenton & Bellefontaine pike, the Yelverton & Kenton pike and the Taylor Creek pike, all running in a northeast and southwest course, diverging by three different routes from Kenton toward Bellefontaine, and one main pike coursing east and west, passing through from Silver Creek eastward to the other pikes. The old "Hull trail" passed through the west part of Taylor Creek Township, to Fort McArthur, and northward to Sandusky.
It has one railroad, the Indianapolis, Bloomington & Western (orginally Mad River & Lake Erie).
There was at this time need of a town and station, and, in 1858, Messrs. Harris & Goss laid off some land in lots, streets and alleys, surveyed by R. D. Millar for a town, which was named Yelverton, in honor of Mr. John Yelverton of New York, who at that time was a large stock-holder in this railroad. In 1867, a subdivision was made by Stevenson & Rude. In 1868, an addition was made by Charles Main. Philip Hisey opened the first store, in 1858, and a post office was established with Mr. Hisey as Postmaster. R. K. Lane was the first blacksmith. At one time, there were three stores in the village, but at the present time there is but one, a general store, by Philip Hisey, and a population of about seventy- five.
In the first running of the railroad, a station was placed six miles south of Kenton, called Hudsonville, In June 1867,
Frederick Hanger laid off some land at this station into lots, streets and alleys, surveyed by R. D. Millar for a town, which was duly platted and recorded under the name of Silver Creek, from the name of the stream which passes near by it. The first store was opened by Frederick Hanger. He was succeeded by Robert Ewing, who was also the first station agent and Postmaster. It is now a small village with about fifty inhabitants, with two stores by Robert Ewing and John Rice; one steam saw mill, by Samuel Wenner; one blacksmith, James McWilliams; one tile factory, by Chamberlain & Winner, and one warehouse for receiving and shipping grain, by John Rice.
the first mill over erected in the township was built by Charles W. Stevenson, on Taylor Creek, in.1833-34, and run by water-power. This mill was run about eight or ten year, and then passed out of use. There was a saw mill at Yelverton, but it has long since gone out of use. Messrs. Russell & Scott erected a mill at Silver Creek, which ran a few years and ceased to be used. In 1867-68, Mr. I. Oglesbee erected a steam saw mill located on his land in the east part of the township, which has continued in operation to the present time. These are the principal mills that have been in existence in this township. There has never been a grist mill in the township.
The first school that was ever taught in Taylor Creek was by Jonathan Seig, in a log house of the primitive kind, located near where the St.
582 -HISTORY OF HARDIN COUNTY.
Paul Methodist Church now stands; this was about 1835-36. And from this time on, from settlement to settlement, schools multiplied, until, in 1882, the Board of Education renders the following report Total receipts for school purposes, $3,497.50: total expenditures, $2,783.61; balance on hand September 1, 1882, $713.89; number of schoolhouses in the township, 9; number of rooms, 9; number of teachers necessary to supply the schools. 9: average wages per month paid teachers-male, $35, female, $25; average number of weeks the schools were in session, 28; number of scholars enrolled, boys, 240, girls. 150; total, 390.
St. Paul's Methodist Episcopal Church. -This class was first organized in 1835-36 by Rev. Enos Holmes, at the house of John Collins. Some of the members were James Andrews and wife, Rebecca Porter, Unity Stevenson and Nancy Collins, with James Andrews as class leader. But this organization, it appears, did nut continue long, and, in 1843, a reorganization was effected at the home of Jane Stevenson, by Revs. Phillips and Nickerson, with the following members. viz., Rebecca Porter, Unity Stevenson, Nancy Collins, Silas Stevenson, Harriet Bailey, James Andrews and wife and Rebecca Seig, with Silas Stevenson as class leader. Services were held for some time at the horse of Mr. Stevenson, then in the schoolhouse. The above mentioned ministers served the society two years, when the conference sent to the charge Rev. Thomas, who preached two or three times and deserted them, after which no preaching was had until about, 1853, when the Scioto Mission took charge of the society and placed it under the care of Rev. John K. Ford. who effected a re-organization, consisting of the following members: Rebecca Porter, Unity Stevenson, Harriet Bailey, Andrew Porter, Mrs. Jane Scott, Jacob Sponsler, Margaret Sponsler, John Evans, Lavinia Evans, Lydia Seig and P. K. Seig. This organization took place at the Taylor Creek Schoolhouse, where they continued to hold their services until the fall of 1877, when they erected their present neat brick church. which was dedicated December 13, 1877, by Elder David Rutledge and Rev. J. S. G. Reeder, who was then the pastor in charge. The following ministers have served the church since its organization: Revs. Lemuel Herbert, S. Roberts, Mr. Taylor, J. Bower, David Bull, A. J. Frisbee, J. M. Longfellow, Enos Holmes. Mr. Morrisson, Samuel Boggs, H. J. Bigley, Hiram M. Shaffer, P. Webster, Leonard Richards, David Rinehart, L. O. Cook, Mr. Douglas, Mr. Buyer, Mr. Morrisson, V. Pond, William Shultz, J. S. G. Reeder, Mr. Whiting, T. I. Jagger and John Parlett, the latter being the present pastor; class leaders, John Evans, Silas Stevenson, Ira Richards, Thomas McElree, John Reefer, and C. A. Porter, who is their present leader. The present
membership is forty. A Sabbath school was organized soon after the church was instituted the last time, in 1853, and now has an average attendance of about forty, with C. A. Porter as Superintendent.
Silver Creep Chapel, Methodist Episcopal Church -The first organization was effected at the Norman Schoolhouse, about 1860 or 1861, it is believed, by Rev. A. J. Frisbee, consisting of the following persons: S. P. Layman and wife, Louisa Albert, Martha Koons, Joseph Brown and Elizabeth Brown. About 1863, they purchased an unfinished church building at Silver Creek, which had been erected by the Presbyterians and who became involved in debt and unable to finish the structure. Thins building they completed and brought into condition in which to held services, and
TAYLOR CREEK TOWNSHIP. -583
the same was duly dedicated while the church was under the charge of Rev. Elisha Webster, the dedicatory sermon being preached by Rev. Lorin Webster. The following have been ministers to this society: Revs. A. J. Frisbee, L. M. Longfellow, Samuel Boggs and H. J. Bigley, who served while the church was in the Mount Victory Circuit. It was then placed in the Round Head Circuit by the conference, after which the following ministers were in charge: Revs. Isaac N. Kalb, Benjamin Bowen, V. Pond, Mr. Cameron and P. Webster. Again a change occurred, and this society was placed in the Ridgeway Circuit, the Mount Victory Circuit having been divided into two circuits; but it only remained one year in this circuit, when the society was placed in the Silver Creek Missions, during which it was administered to by Revs. Samuel Hagerman and J. S. Reeder. Then again it was placed back in the Ridgeway Circuit, where it has since remained, and has been served by the following ministers: Revs. William Shultz, J. S. G. Reeder, Mr. Whiting, T. I. Jagger, and John Parlett, the present minister in charge. Class leaders have been as follows: S. P. Layman, Henry Albert, H. N. Wilcox, W. C. Pendre and F. Sherman; the two last mentioned are now serving the classes; present membership, about sixty. A Sabbath school has existed most of the time; has an average attendance of about thirty-five, with James McWilliams as Superintendent.
United Presbyterian Church of Silver Creek. -This society was organized in the spring of 1881, consisting of fifty members, some of whom were as follows: James Ewing, J. B. Douglass, L. A. Stewart, Levi Derr, D. J. Derr, James McCauley, John Sloan, with their wives and some of their children, also Mrs. Douglass, Mary Rice, Mrs. Wenner, Mrs. Mrs. John Rice, Mrs. William Stewart and others. They erected their present neat brick church in the summer of 1881; it is 32x-46 feet, and cost about $2,000. The house was duly dedicated, Rev. Williamson preached the dedicatory sermon, and was assisted in the services by Rev. Black, of Rushsylvania., and Rev. Wright, of Northwood. At the time of dedication they were $550 in debt, which amount was immediately raised, and the church was dedicated free of debt. The first Ruling Elders were; James Ewing and Levi Derr. The church now has a membership of fifty-five, with the same Ruling Elders. The Trustees are J. B. Douglas, J. Sloan and D. J. Derr.
There are two or three early family burial places, but only one fully constituted public cemetery. In 1851, P. K. Seig set apart a piece of ground for burial purposes, and his daughter, Martha Ann Seig, who died October 9, 1851, was the first person buried there. This was kept as a private burial place until about 1865, when Mr. Seig made it free to the public, on condition that an association be formed under the State laws creating and regulating cemetery associations; but the organization was never effected until February, 1883, when an association was formed with the following charter members, viz.: John C. Bailey, Freeman Porter, James T. Porter, James Lowry, T. W. Carr, Jr., Homer P. Stevenson and P. K. Seig, with P. K. Seig as President; J. T. Porter, Secretary; and H. P. Stevenson, Treasurer.
WARNER, BEERS & CO. (1883)
Part IV. Township Histories, Taylor Creek Township p.578
Here we can establish that Samuel Hatfield who married Celia Zane is the same person who later married Nancy Collins.
Except as noted, foreground and background images are original photos from Minnesota by the webmaster.